Financial Accountant - Reading, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom, RG1
This is an excellent opportunity for a Qualified Financial Accountant, reporting into the Financial Reporting Manager, to join this progressive organisation based in Reading. Working as part of a small team with a flat structure where each individual both 'leads' and 'does', the role involves all the usual aspects expected in a Financial Reporting team in a subsidiary of a larger group, including consolidation. Additionally, the role also provides support to divisional financial controllers in the production of the monthly management accounts and ensures the accuracy and reliability of the Trial Balance and accounting records (Oracle).
As the Bank is a fast-growing company and operates in a regulated market you must be comfortable operating in an environment where 'change' is the norm. You should also have the drive and tenacity to help implement change and be willing to get involved in projects outside of your BAU role where appropriate. There is a need to automate and streamline existing processes, and the successful candidate is expected to use their initiative in this area and work with other members of the team and other teams to achieve this.
The role requires strong knowledge of IFRS standards and what a good control environment looks like. You will also have excellent attention to detail and understand the importance of documentation. A strong background in producing 'Glossy' financial statements is a must, as is a willingness and flexibility to build up experience in new areas. Although there are no direct reports into this role, the role will require supervising and mentoring junior members of the team.
Key Accountabilities include
- Subject matter expert for financial reporting
- Annual and interim statutory reporting for the consolidated
- Monthly, interim and annual group reporting into Group
- Manage and perform month end activities and produce reports for divisions and cost centres
- Annual regulatory Pillar 3 disclosure document
- Development and maintenance of the Accounting Policy Manual and SOPs
- Provision of technical advice and guidance to senior management as required
- Driving process and control improvements
- Effective stakeholder management of all contributing to the reporting process
- Proven experience of preparing IFRS financial statements for a large and complex business
- Must be ACA or ACCA qualified, from a practice background and / or industry (including Big 4)
- Strong understanding of relevant accounting standards and legislation
- Good interpersonal skills as the role will deal with a number of different stakeholders at senior and executive level
- Good working knowledge of standard accounting systems
- Advanced Excel skills and proficiency with other Microsoft Office applications such as Word and PowerPoint is highly beneficial
- Highly credible with the ability to effectively influence at a senior level
- Ability to challenge current practices and identify more efficient solutions
- Inquisitive, investigative and comfortable with ambiguity i.e. solving problems with incomplete information and challenging the norm
- Strong commercial acumen and decision-making skills
- Strong relationship management and communication skills
- As you would expect, this opportunity offers a competitive basic salary and reward package, and you'll also benefit from our commitment to investing in your professional development.