In-House Tax Senior - Private Bank - City, London, United Kingdom, EC1A2
Newly created Tax Senior role with a leading private bank.
Your new role
Your new role
. To manage a mixed portfolio of business and personal compliance tax cases and to represent, promote and develop business tax services, including successful implementation of the changes required to meet HMRC's new regulations on Making Tax Digital (MTD).
. To support the tax managers in managing their day to day personal tax work, especially where this work is linked to business tax cases (to provide a fully joined up service offering). This is a mid-level role reflecting the need of the department to develop, refine and control the risk of business tax related services which have built up over the last few years.
. The role should develop into a full business tax manager role within a relatively short space of time as the requirement will be for the candidate to develop trusted adviser status with many of the business related customers and to start to lead on all aspects of business tax matters and the associated internal and external relationships.
The role is subject to the Conduct Rules set by the FCA/PRA. You are required to familiarise yourself with, and comply with, the Conduct Rules and their successors and complete such ongoing training and competence requirements as required by the FCA/PRA and the bank from time to time.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Attaining a high standard of knowledge in business tax issues relating to the management of all current and prospective cases dealt with by the Bank.
- Ensuring that tax procedures are followed and maintained/updated and that wider Bank/Compliance procedures are adhered to. Specifically, review existing tax procedures and develop a distinct business tax services procedure ready for Making Tax Digital (MTD).
- Managing the tax affairs of a portfolio of customers, dealing with all aspects of Business Tax Compliance (e.g. PAYE, VAT, Accounts, Corporation Tax), Income Tax, Capital Gains Tax, Inheritance Tax, tax planning and tax advice. Including managing the workflow, fee income and meeting time limits and maintaining good customer and intermediary relationships.
- Maintaining an up to date knowledge on tax technical issues, including current HMRC practice, interpretation of new legislation and cases. Identifying updates such as Finance Act changes, budget implications, press releases, statements of practice, concessions, double tax relief treaties, current political and economic events, which impact on tax matters. Maintaining a good working knowledge of other tax related subjects e.g. competitors' offerings, computer software, and taxation in other jurisdictions.
- Maintaining effective and ongoing communication with other departments, Partners and customers on tax related issues. Maintaining good communication and relationships with all HMRC offices in general correspondence, telephone calls etc. Maintaining the good reputation of the Tax Department within the bank and of the Bank with HMRC and other third parties.
- Managing time to ensure that it is recorded and that fees are collected correctly. Planning the annual work flow of own portfolio and other duties to ensure that all cases and are dealt with timely and other deadlines are met. To be pro-active in support of Head of Tax in general work matters.
- Providing assistance to other areas of the Bank on tax related issues e.g. benefit in kind, ad hoc queries.
- Being a core tax resource for Managers/Compliance on ad hoc queries on accounts and structures relating to lending and AML issues
- Assisting with the pro-active development of marketing initiatives appertaining to business tax and the Bank generally. This includes preparing literature and making presentations.
- Liaising with other professional advisors on a diverse range of other business tax and other issues including Landed Estates, Entrepreneurs, Foreign Tax and legal matters.
- Ensuring a good understanding of the services offered by other departments including attendance at presentations.
What you'll need to succeed
- Must have a minimum of 5 GCSE's grade A-C or equivalent qualification
- Qualified as either a Chartered/Certified Accountant or Chartered Tax Adviser
- The undertaking of other relevant professional qualifications (e.g. ATT/CTA/CII/ACCA) is essential as is a desire to commit to develop professionally through a learning and development programme
- 2 A'Levels grade A-D or equivalent qualification
- University Degree or equivalent