Portfolio Office Management Lead - Reading, Berkshire, United Kingdom, RG317
The Portfolio Office Management Lead supports the Portfolio Office Director's key responsibilities of assuring the delivery of the Thames Water Portfolio of Programmes, and of driving best practice and ongoing performance improvements.
The Portfolio Office ensures that Thames we develop a Thames portfolio of transformation to deliver its strategic goals. It will ensure we do the right things at the right time and set them up for success. It will then take an assurance role to ensure benefits are realised as per the business case.
You will oversee the process that accepts demand into Transformation & Change, assign people to define the solution and conducts pre-checks on the business case prior to an investment decision.
You will have experience of Agile and Traditional delivery methodologies and develop and mature the portfolio office to adapt as Thames move towards a more agile approach to delivery.
You will be the guardian of the Thames Water best-practice based methodology for Portfolio Management and Programme Delivery, ensuring full implementation and roll-out, measuring compliance with its principles and guidelines, and driving constant and ongoing improvement in how programmes are delivered in Thames Water.
You will work with all relevant programme leads and ensure that all programmes are clearly defined, managed and tracked in terms of benefits, milestones, dependencies, resource demand and budget.
You will not be responsible for the actual delivery of programmes and projects; instead, you will act as a critical friend to the changing community and escalate as required any identified potential issue or risk regarding the delivery commitments of a programme, as well as any issue or risks you see regarding the (lack of) compliance of the programme delivery approach with the Thames Water Delivery Framework methodology.
Thames Water is undergoing significant business transformation, spanning all areas of the organisation and as such the environment is fluid, challenging yet hugely rewarding. One of the essential transformational changes in the way programmes and projects are delivered.
Therefore, the work is very diverse, often ambiguous and requires someone that thrives when given autonomy to define the scope and then lead cross-functional teams to deliver according to plan. Self-motivation, drive and pragmatism are critical as the role holder will need to be able to drive major changes in the ways of working, and support and guide the implementation of the Thames Water Delivery Framework. As such, someone with the confidence to challenge, influence others, and drive through change would be an ideal fit.
You will be able to work with the senior stakeholders in the business and provide expertise to ensure the portfolio delivers the business needs as well as ensure critical path and dependencies are managed.
- Helping to build the Central Portfolio Office team
- Accountable for creating the Portfolio Roadmap in conjunction with the Strategy and Planning team
- Accountable for the Thames Water Portfolio Delivery Framework and all associated processes and governance (demand management, delivery and financial)
- Supporting and driving the roll-out and ongoing development of the Thames Water Delivery Framework and associated changes in culture and ways-of-working with regards to programme and project delivery
- Accountable for measuring and improving compliance with the Delivery Framework methodology, and for the ongoing improvement of said Framework
- Assisting and advising programme and project managers in defining their programmes and projects in sufficient detail, and ensuring this data is entered and maintained in the designated systems and applications by the programme and project managers
- Assisting programme and project managers with the forecasting and planning of resources required resources to deliver their programme or project
- Accountable for Portfolio performance and status reporting
- Driving a professional services culture across the business and to support the creation of a changing centre of excellence
- A PPM SME and to coach the discipline pan Thames
- Evidences leadership experience through direct management, or task management of a team of 5+
- Budget ~£10m+
- Demonstrable evidence of industry knowledge and experience of project and programme delivery methodologies
- Ability to build portfolios of programmes and change initiatives to deliver major transformation
- Ability to consult on strategy, identify business outcomes and convert into realistic roadmaps
- Demonstrable evidence of building and leading new functions and capabilities in regulated industries
- Excellent internal and external stakeholder management and influencing skills at senior management level
- MoP, Prince2, MSP or equivalent qualification desirable experience in using Microsoft Project
Our competitive salary and package include a competitive bonus, car allowance, private healthcare, an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday. There is also a wider benefits scheme which includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans and loyalty awards for continuous service plus discounts at a wide range of retailers via Benefits on Taps. We also have a referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We're proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities.
Thames Water is the UK's largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That's why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We're passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We're also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We're reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We're using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world's poorest communities.
Together, we're building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you'll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We're also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with award-winning mental health and well-being strategy...... click apply for full job details