Senior Credit Risk Analyst - London, United Kingdom,
The current Credit Risk team consists of a Credit Manager, and a team of analysts. Counterparties are active with all desks (power, gas, oil, LNG, carbon) and cover a wide range of activities (trading, generation, E&P, etc.) and sizes. The core components of the role are supporting the team in assessing and reviewing counterparties' creditworthiness and KYC status, recommending and monitoring counterparty credit limits, managing exposures, assisting with negotiations of trading documentation, managing complex credit projects and developing relationships with internal stakeholders (Legal, Front Office, Settlements, Collateral, Regulations, Risk…) as well as with the credit departments of counterparties. Counterparties are active with all desks and cover a wide range of activities (trading, generation, E&P, etc.) and sizes.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Counterparty assessment - analysing counterparties' credit worthiness and KYC status in order to recommend appropriate credit limits and managing credit support where necessary. Regular renewal and continuous monitoring of counterparty status.
- Credit reporting and control - monitoring credit exposure and risk measures and anticipation and management of breaches and exceptions. Pro-actively assessing exposure and the impact of potential transactions to provide an advisory role to Front Office.
- Coordination with internal stakeholders - being a professional business partner to Front Office and communicating sound credit opinions in a convincing, understandable and concise manner ton non-credit stakeholders. Ability to find innovative solutions which address risk reduction whilst responding to commercial requirements. Providing support to Front Office when credit issues require involvement with other internal departments. Finally, being able to react quickly to business opportunities.
- Managing complex projects related to credit risk and requiring coordination with other departments. Requirement to be able to autonomously drive projects and present workable results within deadlines to management.
- Providing advice and support to other team members concerning areas of expertise as well as exposure management.
- Counterparty maintenance - developing and maintaining relationships with counterparties including support in negotiating trading documentation and maximising the credit lines extended to the company.
- Developing good relationships with counterparties' credit departments so as to be able to solve issues that may arise.
- Build and maintain strong internal relationships across all business and support functions and ensure close liaison with other members of the risk management team.
- Assist Credit Manager in development of the Credit Risk function including counterparty or sector assessment, advanced exposure and risk measures, project management, and development and documentation of credit risk management policies and procedures.
Skills & Competencies:
- Being able to identify trends and key topics and communicate recommendations to management in a clear, precise and concise manner.
- Good understanding of the key elements of Credit Risk Management with credit and exposure assessment experience from a commodity trading or banking environment.
- Knowledge of energy markets and types of physical and financial energy products and their risks is a plus. Alternatively, good knowledge of financial markets products.
- Experience of commercial lending and derivatives markets would be viewed favourably
- Creativity in solution finding and thinking dynamically
- Ability to produce accurate credit papers, coherent recommendations and reports within very tight deadlines.
- Ability to work autonomously on projects and produce results within imparted deadlines.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Fluent in English. Other language skills would be a benefit, especially German, Italian and/or Russian.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Written presentation skills, with high attention to detail.
- Excellent computer skills. Advanced Excel skills would be an advantage.
- Reactivity and organisational skills, in particular regarding systems and requests management.
- Strong desire and ability to learn new skills
- Pro-active in achieving results.
- Able to cope with rapid business development and pressurised environment with tight deadlines.
- Able to work as part of a team as well as autonomously when required.
- Strong execution skills.
- Diligent and reliable.
- Demonstrable 5+ years' experience in a credit role either within an energy company, bank or rating agency.
- Experience of and familiarity with the energy/commodity trading markets (particularly natural gas, power, oil, carbon allowances and LNG) is an advantage.
- Degree level education.